Sunday, October 7, 2012

Twin Cities 10K Race Report

Hi All!

I'm back and happy to report that I completed the Twin Cities 10K!  My goal was to be under 14:00 a mile and my biggest goal was to just be done in 1:30:00.  Here are my results


I was pleased with my results, especially since it only 28 degrees out!  The coldest I had run in was upper 40's, so it was a completely new experience for me.  We were so cold waiting until the start that we just tried to keep moving and checked out a few of the tents.

Here we are pre-race

The race started up-hill, which was a killer.  I think I was pretty much ready to stop when we got halfway up the hill, my legs were not adjusting to the cold.  I was seriously wondering what I had gotten myself into when I felt like quiting after the first 1/4 mile, but I kept on.  I just had to find a good pace and rhythm, which was really difficult for me to do for some reason.  I think it was around mile 3 that I actually felt like I was in a good groove.  The first three miles seemed to take FOREVER!  I did take a couple of quick walk breaks in the middle, which I was disappointed about, but I definitely wasn't alone, so that helped. 

There were so many people along the route cheering us on, it was really awesome.  I gave and received a lot of high-5's along the way.  I went without music, something I've been trying to do lately, so that I could free up my mind.  I just kept repeating the bridge to one of my favorite songs lately, All Things Possible, by Mark Schultz



 My God is strong and mighty
My God is faithful
My hope is in the Lord
For He is able
 
 
The course was an out and back route, which meant that the end would be all down hill....thank God for that!  Around mile 5 I really wanted to be done, but I ended up running along side a couple who were both around my size for the last mile.  Since I am one, I'm always going to have a place in my heart for the underdog, the people who don't look the part, but are out there giving it their all.  The woman was really struggling, but her husband was so encouraging and she just kept pushing through and was able to run all the way to the end even though she desperately wanted to walk.  I was just so encouraged by them that it helped me keep going as well.

James has been so good at encouraging me and he found someone to cover his shift at work at the last minute so he was able to attend.  He brought our middle son with and they were near the finish line cheering me on.  The poor little dude was so cold, but it was really nice to see both of them at the end.

Coming down the hill at the end was a bit surreal.  It was awesome to see and hear the masses of people.  The finish line was so close, but it seemed to take forever to cross.  I was so relieved to watch my feet cross that mat. 

I got my medal and a granola bar and started walking to find my boys.  We stopped for a picture, but then quickly headed to the car....which was parked up hill and about half a mile away, that was fun.

 

The high from finishing the race was quickly deflated by a very cold, tired and crabby 2 year old boy who cried the entire way home.

The rest of the day was pretty low key.  We enjoyed family nap time and then headed out to church.  We took in the service on a big comfy couch in the cafe area with our two older kiddos, my sister and brother in law, and James' sister and her husband.  There wasn't much room to move, but the amount of love on that couch was pretty awesome, it was a great way to spend the service.       

All in all, it was a pretty great day.  Thanks to everyone who supported me and gave me encouragement, it was very much appreciated.  I'm not really sure what my next big adventure will be, but I'm sure you'll be the first to know when I figure it out :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment