Friday, August 9, 2013

The Number One Preventable Cause of Death


I don't know about you, but this doesn't sit very well with me.  I thought it would be obesity or lung cancer.  Instead it is something that we have an abundance of, clean water.  Nearly everyone in this country has access to clean water with the turn of a knob or the push of a button.  It is simple for us, but it isn't that way for everyone. 

Here are some facts from World Vision:

  • More than 6,000 children under age 5 die each day from diseases spread by unsafe water or lack of basic sanitation and hygiene. 
  • Almost 900 million people lack access to safe water.
  • 443 million school days per year are lost to water-related illness.


But, do you want to know the good news?

World Vision is doing incredible things to reduce those numbers and ensure that kids and families in Africa and Haiti have access to clean and safe water.  The people at World Vision partner with the communities and uses the resources available to come up with effective and sustainable solutions to provide clean water.  They get the community involved and invested in the projects, which I believe, is the best way to help people.



For all of these reasons, when I heard about the opportunity to join Team World Vision for the Monster Dash Half Marathon, it was a no brainer.  I have been looking for ways that God can use this journey that I am to help others, and this is undeniably a way that I can do just that.

I have a goal of raising $1,310 to help provide access to clean water.  That is $100 for every mile that I will be running.  $1,310 is enough to provide clean water for 26 people for an entire generation.  



Here is where you come in :-)

I would be extremely grateful if you would be willing to support me financially and help me reach my goal of providing water for 26 people.  I know that $50 is a lot of money and most of you don't have that kind of cash sitting around.  No worries!  A donation of ANY size would help get me closer to my goal.  $1, $5, $13.10....whatever you feel called to give is getting us one step closer to helping our brothers and sisters in Haiti in Africa.  If it doesn't fit in your budget right now, no problem, you can donate any time between now and October 26.  (I won't hound you, but the link to give will stay in the upper right hand corner of my blog.)

Everyone deserves clean water.  Everyone needs clean water.  You can help them get it.



Thank you!

(P.S. It isn't too late to join the team.  Please let me know if you would like to join our team and run for water!)

No comments:

Post a Comment