Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Where does the time go?

Greetings!  In my quest to reach the "Gold" in our "Go for the Gold" challenge at work, I seem to have lost all of my "extra" time in which I would actually get my thoughts out onto this screen.  I keep starting blog posts in my head, but by the time I get done with everything that needs to get done each day, I'm exhausted and the only thing that I can find the energy to do is crawl into bed and watch 5 minutes of an episode of Dawson's Creek on Amazon Prime before falling asleep.  (I love that Amazon Prime has Dawson's Creek, I'm a sucker for juvenile CW television programs.)

There isn't much to report on the weight loss front.  I've been stuck in the same place since my 5K.  I'm thinking it is a combination being hungrier with the increase in activity and my body trying to find a new "normal" with the near end of nursing my little Oskar man.  The only time he is interested in nursing is in the morning, and I'm not even sure he gets much, but I'm treasuring the time that we get to cuddle in the morning before the day starts moving full speed ahead.  He is going to be 1 in just 15 days. 

As far as running goes.  I started a program to try and increase my 5K speed.  I'm about one week in.  I'm not sure how it is going to go because my left hip and knee have been really sore.  I ran my first long run since the 5K on Saturday and it actually felt really good.  Nothing hurt while I was running and I ran 3.5 miles and then walked the last .5 miles because my hip started to get somewhat irritated.  It was a beautiful morning and it was basically a time of worship for me.  It is a great way for me to actually clear my head and take time to focus on talking to God and lean into him for strength.

I can't remember if I've mentioned previously that I've been reading the book, "Love to Eat, Hate to Eat" by Elyse Fitzpatrick.  I wish I had more time to read so that I could get through it quicker because it has been so helpful.  I had to pull out my highlighter (I'd be a student forever if I didn't have to pay tuition) because there are just so many great points that I know I'm going to want/need to come back to.  I think the following sentence is so valuable and something that I need to reminded of often

"As long as what you eat dominates your affections, thoughts, and behavior-even if you are eating small portions, starving yourself, or insisting on eating only "healthy" foods-your eating is gluttonous because your life is focused on food." - Elyse Fitzpatrick
I'm trying really hard to find a healthy balance in my relationship with food that allows me to eat healthy foods but not be overly focused on it.  The same goes for exercise.  It is important to me that the number one thing in my life, the thing that fills my thoughts most often, is my desire for God and developing my relationship with Him.  I so often fail at getting this right and can easily fall into the trap of being consumed by other things.  In the beginning of this adventure, I'd find myself spending so much of my free time looking for ways to improve my running speed or find exercises to do.  While those things are helpful, they aren't the most important and I need to keep my thoughts focused on God and he will guide my path and finish the work that he started. 

I hope that you all have a safe and enjoyable 4th!  I'm excited to spend the day with my kiddos.  I'm hoping that we can get out and enjoy a parade and possibly some fireworks despite the heat.

Thanks for reading!   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment