Friday, December 21, 2012

Made to Crave

I've been promising a review of the book Made toCrave by Lysa TerKeurst for quite some time and I'm finally going to follow through on it today!



When I set out on this journey to start living a healthier life, I knew that I needed to first change my heart and turn to God in the times when I was instead turning to food.  Little did I know that there was already a book all about this!  As the extended title says, Made to Crave is a book about Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food.

I was really excited when I found out about the book because I had read some of Lysa's blogs on the Proverbs 31 website and enjoyed her sense of humor and candor.  Candor is probably the most admirable quality that I find in other people, so I am always excited to find another woman who loves Jesus who isn't afraid to expose their inner dialogue…this is very much Lysa.

The book is formatted to be done in a Bible study/small group format with reflection questions at the end of each chapter, but I just read it by myself.  I think it would be VERY helpful to do with a group of ladies because the challenge questions at the end of each chapter are really great. 

I think this book is one that I will keep around and read through when I start to forget who I am and why I'm doing what I'm doing.  It was a very quick read and will be easy to go back to, even if it is just a chapter here and a chapter there.  I am very aware that changing my thinking isn't going to happen overnight, I spent 30 years using food as my "go-to" for every emotion when instead I should be turning to God, so keeping this book around will be helpful to get me back there when I forget.

Another part of the book that I really like is that Lysa put all of the verses that she references in the book in one nice little section at the back of the book.  As I was reading through the chapters, when I came across a verse I liked, I would look it up in YouVersion and bookmark it so that I could have it at my fingertips in a moment of weakness, but I didn't highlight them in my actual Bible, so it was nice to have them all at the end to go back and do that.

What I like most about this book is that it isn't an "eat this, do that and then life will be grand" kind of book.  Lysa does talk about her no-sugar eating plan, but is very clear that what she did may not work for everyone.  She restricted certain foods completely from her diet and I know that things like that don't work for me and aren't going to solve my problem because I don't necessarily crave certain foods, I just want lots of it!  So for me, watching my calories and paying attention to the calorie content of the food I am eating is much more important. 

If you struggle with food, I HIGHLY recommend reading this book because it helps you understand why you do what you do and helps you learn how to change your behaviors with solid Biblical truths.  I know some people have a hard time with the word "sin", but it is a reality and this book was very helpful in helping me realize when eating becomes more than nourishing my body and instead sinful behavior.   

Top 10 Favorite Quotes from the Book

  • "…what we're craving will always depend on what-ever we're consuming … the object of our desire or God and His truth." (Pg 24)

  • "God never intended for us to want anything more than we want Him." (Pg 29)

  • "Food had become like a drug.  And honestly, it's a good drug choice for a Christian woman.  Every church event I attended readily provided my drug out in the open with no hesitation or judgement." (Pg 37)
    • I am pretty sure I shouted,  "Amen!" after I read that.  This is why it is soooo difficult to overcome this battle.  Normally, when you are trying to overcome a problem, you abstain from it, but food is EVERYWHERE!!!  No one thinks twice about offering food to you and often times, well meaning people will provide me with an rationale to enjoy something delicious that I don't really need.  "Oh, just this once won't hurt."  "You have to be bad sometimes."  "You deserve it." …we would never say these kinds of things to someone trying to overcome an alcohol or drug addiction, but I feel like there is always pressure to try food.

  • "Being ruled by something other than God diminishes our commitment and will make us feel increasingly distant from Him." (Pg 66)

  • "The more I made running about spiritual growth and discipline, the less I focused on the weight.  Each lost pound was not a quest to get skinny but evidence of obedience to God." (Pg 89)
    • ….quoted the girl who just went for a run in 20 degree weather (Please pray for unseasonably warm weather on January 1st!!!!)

  • "Our flesh buys right into Satan's lie that it's not fair for things to be withheld from us.  So we bite into the forbidden fruit and allow Satan to write "shame" across our heart."  (Pg 100)
    • So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  This pretty much explains my "Hangry" post

  • "If my happy was missing when I was larger, it will still be missing when I get smaller." (Pg 120)
    • I think this is SO important.  Fitting into a certain size or seeing a certain number on the scale isn't going to provide happiness.  I feel like so many women put their bodies through hell to try and find happiness this way and it is fleeting….makes me sad for them. 

  • "So, I'm not on a diet.  I'm on a journey with Jesus to learn the fine art of self-discipline for the purpose of holiness."  (Pg 158)
    • Exactly. 

  • "Pursuing holiness means God is the only One we should long for; want greatly; desire eagerly.  The only One worthy of worship." (Pg 173)
    • And what a good God he is

  • "I've tasted the deep satisfaction of God and I know all other things are but cheap imitations.  And I don't want to be enamored by the lesser things wrought with momentary pleasure." (Pg 174)
    • I think this is probably the most important thing that I need to remember when I feel like giving in. 

There are SO MANY more great thoughts, ideas and stories in this book, but these are the ones that impacted me the most.  Like I said before, if you struggle at all with food, PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and read this book!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment